Prof. Abdussalam Azem
Prof. Abdussalam Azem
A Doctor and a leading historian of Arabic and Islamic sciences. Dr. Muhammed has studied medicine and the history of Islamic sciences at the University of Frankfurt in Germany in the seventies and early eighties of the last century، have established Gothe institution with professor Foad Ziskin. When he returned to the country, he has established Al-Zahrawy non-profit organization with a group of colleagues from Kafr Qara to create alzahrawy society, a group that is concerned with Arab-Islamic sciences and heritage, in order to change the existing bleak image of its civilization and its heritage.
Throughout his career, Dr. Yehia has indulged in different sciences, including medicine, pharmacology, veterinary science, botany, astronomy, mathematics, agronomy, geography, and more. Likewise, Dr. Yehia had an interest in pure sciences, such as Al-Hadith, jurisprudence, and linguistics. Then Dr. Yehia has succeeded in attracting to the Al-Zahrawi Society an audience that is convinced of the importance of spreading Arab and Islamic sciences, connecting the authenticity with modernity, and changing the existing folklore image of this civilization in a message that is necessary to separate the folklore heritage and the scientific heritage.
In the year 2000, Dr. Yehia has established the Triangle Research Center that resides in Kafr Qara in the triangle area, with the support of the Ministry of Science and sponsorship of Tel Aviv University, to so that the center would begin to research different areas of interest to the Palestinian Arab community in Israel in terms of health, environment, agriculture and various societal issues. Which enabled the two worlds to reach distinguished results and work within scientific partnerships with different universities and scientific institutions locally and internationally.
One of the center’s most important activities is researching the heritage of Islamic Arabic sciences, and examining issues of authenticity and modernity in a mission to create a connection between the two, leading to the discovery of the main issue with the Arab-Islamic heritage, which is that nowadays there are 10 million manuscripts distributed around the world, of which only 200,000 have been read in 300 years, and the content of the rest haven’t been explored yet. This has led Dr. Yehia and the team of Alzahrawi society to initiate an unprecedented project that has been ongoing for 20 years, which is the computerized reading of the Arabic Manuscripts that would enable the modern computer to read the Arabic calligraphy and finally explore the true heritage of the Islamic civilizations. This project is evidence of the compatibility between authenticity and modernity and the gathering of two worlds in one.
- Eran Zing and Raid Saabni, Text Extraction from Images in the Wild Using the Viola-Jones Algorithm, The 2017 9th International Conference on Graphic and Image Processing (ICGIP 2017), Ocean University of China, QingDao , China.
- Raid Saabni, Document Image Binarization Using Multi Scale Predefined Filters, Proceedings of the 2017 9th International Conference on Graphic and Image Processing (ICGIP 2017), Ocean University of China, QingDao , China.
- Raid Saabni, Boosting Feature Based Classifiers for Writer Identification and Verification, Proceedings of The 1st International Workshop on Arabic Script Analysis and Recognition (ASAR 2017), PP: 99-103, LORIA laboratory (University Lorraine, France).
- Raid Saabni, Recognizing handwritten single digits and digit strings using deep architecture of neural networks, Third International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Pattern Recognition (AIPR), Lodz, 2016. pp. 1-6.
- Raid Saabni, “Facial expression recognition using multi Radial Bases Function Networks and 2-D Gabor filters, Digital Information Processing and Communications (ICDIPC), 2015 Fifth International Conference on, Sierre, 2015, pp. 225-230.
- Raid Saabni, Ada-boosting Extreme learning machines for handwritten digit and digit strings recognition,” Digital Information Processing and Communications (ICDIPC), 2015 Fifth International Conference on, Sierre, 2015, pp. 231-236.
- George Kour, Raid Saabni: Ongoing Segmentation of On-line Handwritten Arabic Script, proceedings of the ICFHR2014 conference, Greece.
- Raid Saabni: Efficient Recognition of Machine Printed Arabic text Using Partial Segmentation and Hausdorff Distance, proceedings of the SocPar 2014, Tunis
- George Kour, Raid Saabni: Fast Classification of Handwritten On-line Arabic Characters, proceedings of the SocPar 2014, Tunis
- Saabni, R; Asi, A; El-Sana, J: Text Line Extraction for Historical Document Images, Pattern Recognition Letters, Volume 35, 1 January 2014, Pages 23–33.
- Saabni, R: The Multi Angular Descriptor (MAD): a Binary and Gray Images Descriptor for Shape Recognition. HIP2013, Proceedings the Historical Document Imaging and Recognition workshop, Pages 53-58, Washington, USA.
- Saabni, R: Efficient Word Image Retrieval Using Earth Movers Distance Embedded to Wavelets Coefficients Domain. ICDAR 2013, the International Conference of Document Analyzing and Recognition, Washington, USA, Pages: 314-318.
- Werner Pantke, Volker M¨argner, Daniel Fecker, Tim Fingscheidt; Abedelkadir Asi; Jihad El-Sana; Raid Saabni; Mohammad Yehia: Software System for Semi-Automatic Processing of Historical Handwritten Arabic Documents, the Conference of Archiving.2014
- Saabni, R; El-Sana, J: Keywords Image Retrieval in Historical Handwritten Arabic Documents, Journal of Electronic Imaging 22(1), 013016 (Jan 2013).
- Saabni, Raid , and Jihad A. El-Sana. Comprehensive synthetic Arabic database for on/off-line script recognition research. IJDAR 16(3): 285-294 (2013)
- Saabni, R; Zwilling, M: Text Detection and Recognition in Real World Images. ICFHR2012,
- Bari, Italy. Pages: 441-446.
- Saabni, R; Bronstein, A: Fast Key-Word Searching Using ‘BoostMap’ based
- ICFHR2012, Bari, Italy. Pages: 730-735.
- Saabni, R; El-Sana, J: Language-Independent Text Lines Extraction Using Seam Carving, ICDAR2011, Pages 563-568, Beijing, China.
- Saabni, R; Bronstein, A: Fast Key-Word Searching via Embedding and Active-DTW, ICDAR2011, Pages 68-72, Beijing, China, Pages.
- Asi, A; Saabni, R; El-Sana, J: Text Line Segmentation for Gray Scale Historical Document Images, International Workshop on Historical Document Imaging and Processing (HIP), Beijing, China, Pages: 041-041.2011.
- Biadsy, Fadi, Raid Saabni, and Jihad. EL-SANA. “Segmentation-free online Arabic handwriting recognition.” International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence 25, no. 07 (2011): 1009-1033
- Saabni, R; El-Sana, J: Word Spotting for Handwritten Documents using Chamfer Distance and Dynamic Time Warping, DRR2011 ,Pages 1-10, San Francisco, USA.
- Saabni, R; El-Sana, J: Hierarchical On-line Arabic Handwriting Recognition. The 10’th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition ICDAR 2009,Barcelona, Pages: 867-871, 2009
- Saabni, R; El-Sana, J: Efficient Generation of Comprehensive Database for Online Arabic Script The 10’th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition ICDAR 2009, Barcelona , Pages:1231-1235.
- Saabni, R; El-Sana, J. Keyword Searching for Arabic handwritten Documents, The 11’th International Conference on Frontiers in Handwriting recognition (ICFHR2008), Montreal, 2008.